Cheesy Whirligig Chicken & Pasta
4 boneless chicken breasts
8 ounces shredded Italian style cheese
1 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained, divided
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped, divided
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
olive or canola oil
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
16 ounces Fusilli pasta (I used La Molisana)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
12 ounces evaporated skim milk
1/2 teaspoon salt.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4 inch
2. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup of the cheese, 1/2 cup of the
tomatoes, 1/4 cup of the basil and 1/4 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes.
3. Divide filling evenly between chicken, spoon in center. Roll each chicken
and secure with a toothpick. dip chicken first in the oil then into bread
crumbs covering completely. Place in a 9x9 dish and bake at 400 degrees for
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions in salted water.
5. In a large microwave safe bowl melt the butter in microwave (approximately
45-60 seconds). Whisk in flour and microwave 1 minute until bubbly. Whisk in
evaporated skim milk and microwave 2 minutes. Stir and microwave an
6. In a large bowl pour cooked, drained pasta. Add cheese mixture, remaining
tomatoes and 1/4 cup basil, salt, remaining red pepper and remaining cheese.
Toss until well blended.
7. To serve: Spoon pasta onto large plate. Slice each chicken bundle into 6
two inch slices and arrange on top of pasta.
MOM!MOM! notes: This was
very good with radiatore pasta, it kind of continued the