April Fools Meat Loaf
Meat Loaf :
2 pounds lean ground beef
3 large eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
2/3 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Decoration:
1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
3 1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes
8 cherry tomatoes, stems removed
1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl, combine ground beef,
eggs, bread crumbs, green onions, milk, parsley, garlic,
Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper just until blended.
2. Divide mixture between two 8-inch round cake pans, patting to
cover pans evenly and make level.
3. Bake meat loaves until juices run clear when meat is pierced
with a fork, or meat loaves register 170F on a meat thermometer,
20-25 minutes. Remove pans from the oven; cover loosely with foil
and let stand for 10 minutes.
Decorating the Meat Loaf
1. Pour off juices from pans. Invert 1 meat loaf onto a flat serving
plate. Using a small sharp knife, trim red peppers so that they lie
flat. Cover top of meat loaf with a single layer of roasted red
2. Invert second meat loaf onto red pepper layer. Using a spatula,
spread 2 1/2 cups mashed potatoes over top and sides of meat loaf.
Spoon remaining potatoes into a pastry bag fitted with a large star
tip. Pipe swirls around top edges of cake. Pipe stars around bottom
3. Place cherry tomatoes, stem-ends down, in a ring around top of
meat loaf "cake" to resemble cherries. Cut meat loaf into wedges;
Mom-mom notes: My kids don't really like red bell
peppers, so we mixed
some cream cheese with some shredded jack cheese for the filling. It
melts a little, but is still good. Use your imagination
decorating the outside
of the meatloaf.