Irish Shepherd's Pie
2 LB ground beef, lean
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 Ts nutmeg
1 cup beef broth
2 TB Butter; mixed with 2 TB flour
2 LB Potatoes, cooked and mashed
1. Cook ground beef in frying pan until brown.
2. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
3. Lower heat and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are wilted.
4. Add beef broth.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Stir in enough of the butter/flour roux to make a thick gravy
to bind the filling.
7. Pour into large shallow baking pan, the filling should be about 1-1/2 inches
9. Cover the meat mixture in the pan with the corn.
10.Top with the hot mashed potatoes.
11.Smooth potatoes evenly.
12.Brush surface with butter.
13.Bake at F 325 for 35-40 minutes.