Balsamic Chicken and Asparagus Prima Vera
5 skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
1 box of your favorite spaghetti or linguine type pasta
1 pound fresh asparagus, blanched and quartered
1 pound of mushrooms, sliced thinly
2 yellow bell peppers, cut into thin strips
10 roma tomatoes, diced, or one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 head of garlic, minced finely
2 large onions, diced
1 16-ounce can of black olives, drained and sliced
Parmesan cheese, grated
1 bag of grated mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil, cut into strips
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
1) In a ziploc bag, marinate the chicken strips in a mixture of 1/4
cup olive oil, 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic,
salt, pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes for about an hour. (Keep an eye
on the chicken, as the vinegar will "cook" the chicken if left in too
2) After the chicken has marinated for 45 minutes, put pasta on to
boil. Simmer until al dente.
3) In 1/4 cup of olive oil, sauté (in this order) the onions, peppers,
blanched asparagus, mushrooms, black olives tomatoes, and lastly, as
much garlic as you and your guests can stand. Cook until heated through and
the garlic is translucent.
4) Remove vegetables from the pan and set aside. In the juice remaining
in the bottom of the sauté pan, add the chicken and part of the marinade.
Cook until done.
5) Drain pasta and coat with olive oil to give it a sheen and to keep
it from sticking together.
6) Add vegetables and chicken to pasta, mix well. Adjust seasonings to
7) Add basil and parmesan cheese to taste. Stir again.
8) Put into oven-proof dish and cover the top with mozzarella.
9) Place under broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly brown.
10) Serve immediately and enjoy!